"It lets them know they're not alone:" Art Museum fountains go pink to support those with breast cancer

MILWAUKEE (WITI) -- You might have noticed something different as you passed the Milwaukee Art Museum Tuesday, September 9th -- the fountains outside were pink!

Sure, it looks pretty -- but there's a deeper meaning behind the pink water. The co-chair of the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure, Melissa Flynn, says this display symbolizes hope for those affected by breast cancer.

“One in every eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer. How many of us know eight women? That means every single one of us will be touched by someone who has breast cancer -- be it your mother, your sister, girlfriend, friend, niece. So that’s why it’s really important for the community to come here in Milwaukee and really support this race and support our local women," Flynn said.

The support shown by the color pink is for those affected by breast cancer, as well as their families and friends.

“I think it gives us hope. It motivates and inspires the survivors to know they`re not alone. Breast cancer is not just an individual thing. It really is about a family and that color pink, when they see it on race day, it lets them know they`re not alone and that there are a lot of people fighting with them,” Flynn said.

The pink fountains are also a reminder of the Southeast Wisconsin Race for the Cure, which starts near the fountains that will be pink on that day too -- September 21st.

“We have a great Susan G. Komen organization that supports seven of our southeastern counties and what we do with the finds raised is we give mammograms, clinical services, breast exams, assess to treatment, all things that women and men in our community need for breast cancer,” Flynn said.

Their goal this year is just over $1,000,000. 25% of that goes to national research, but the other 75% stays in Southeast Wisconsin. Plus, some of that "national research" is done at the University of Wisconsin - Madison and the Medical College of Wisconsin -- so they benefit from some of the money specifically.

Registration for the race is still open.

CLICK HERE to learn more about the September 21st event.