Family and friends express grief, concern over fatal officer-involved shooting of Mario Hobson

MILWAUKEE -- Family and friends came to Milwaukee's south side on the evening of Thursday, Aug. 23 to share their grief over the fatal shooting of Mario Hobson, 48, by two police officers. They also expressed their concern for how police handled the situation with Hobson.

"It hurts so bad. It hurts," said Jayla Hobson, Mario Hobson's daughter.

Hobson was shot in an incident that unfolded near 10th and Burnham on the evening of Monday, Aug. 13. Investigators say he fled from officers earlier in the day.

Police stopped Hobson on the south side; they say he was armed. His daughter, Jayla, was with him at the time.

"He had the gun to his head. He never moved it. They asked him about three times to put the gun down. He didn't and they shot him," said Jayla.

Jayla Hobson

Jayla says her dad was suffering from schizophrenia and was trying to harm himself.

"He was super depressed before he died," Jayla said.

Milwaukee police say Hobson was wanted on two active warrants for a probation violation and domestic violence.

"He made a lot of choices that weren't right and he wasn't perfect, but he actually cried out for help," said Somone Hobson, Mario Hobson's daughter.

Family is questioning police training and wonders if Hobson would be alive today, if everything was handled differently.

Mario Hobson

"He acted out and he needed someone at that time to just give him a little compassion, give him a little love," said Cordeous Reynolds, Mario Hobson's brother.

Cordeous Reynolds


While the family is heartbroken, they're remembering a man not in his darkest moments but happier times.

"He taught me to be strong," Jayla said. "Even now going through this. He was just awesome."

The officers involved -- one 44 years old and one 27 years old, with 20 years of service and six years of service with MPD -- have been placed on administrative duty, which is department policy. The Milwaukee County District Attorney's Office says the case is under review.

A GoFundMe page has been set up for Hobson's family.