Early morning fire damages home in Town of Raymond

TOWN OF RAYMOND (WITI) -- A home in the Town of Raymond was damaged after a fire broke out in the early morning hours of Friday, December 13th.

Deputies responded to the scene at approximately 2:30 a.m.

Upon arrival, the first responding deputy made contact with the sole resident of the house, who was able to get out unharmed.

According to officials, the resident said he fell asleep with a fire lit in a wood burning stove and awoke to a smoke filled house. Fire personnel said the fire they extinguished was consistent with the story the resident gave.

Responders were able to get to the fire fairly quickly, however the weather made it a bit more difficult.

"It's a little bit harder on our equipment. We have to keep our hose lines flowing even though it may not be flowing water at a given time and it's hard on the crews. You get wet, you get cold," said Chief Alan Babe.

The fire restarted a few hours after it was put out, however crews were able to extinguish it within minutes.

Chief Babe said the holidays are a busy time of year for fire departments and reminds residents to be extra cautious.

"Just be careful this holiday season. Don't be overloading your outlets with Christmas lights and decorations, and make sure you are getting your fire places and chimneys inspected," said Babe.

No one was injured during Friday's incident.