Admirals drop game 1 of playoffs, lose to Heat 6-2

MILWAUKEE -- The Milwaukee Admirals allowed five unanswered goals in the second and third period to the Abbotsford Heat as they fell by a score of 6-2 on Friday evening, April 20th from the Bradley Center. The Heat lead the best-of-five Western Conference Quarterfinals 1-0 over the Admirals with game two on Sunday evening at the Bradley Center.

Abbotsford took an early 1-0 lead at the 3:33 mark of the first period as they controlled the puck in the Admirals zone. Paul Byron carried the puck into the slot, he then found Dustin Sylvester in the faceoff circle. Sylvester fired the shot past Jeremy Smith putting the Ads down 1-0.

Milwaukee did not trail for long, as with 15 minutes left in the first Mark Van Guilder took a pass from Zack Stortini and fired a shot from the top of the faceoff circle. Van Guilder’s shot beat Danny Taylor tying the game at one.

The Ads took the lead later in the first period, as Jani Lajunen found a loose puck in the neutral zone and carried it into the Heat’s zone. Lajunen fired a shot from the top high slot that beat Taylor stick side putting the Admirals up 2-1.

Milwaukee took a 2-1 lead into the second period but the lead did not last long as Abbotsford tied the game at two, two minutes and 50 seconds into the period. After Admirals Captain Scott Ford was called for holding the Heat scored on the powerplay. Greg Nemisz fired a shot from the faceoff circling beating Smith glove side. The puck hit the far post before crossing the goal line.

Later in the second the Heat took the lead as Akim Aliu fired a shot on Smith, who made the save. However, Nemisz drove to hit the puck past an out of position Smith putting the Ads down 3-2.

After Milwaukee’s Teemu Laakso was called for slashing, Abbotsford added to their lead. Walter fought off a couple of Admirals and sent a pass to Krys Kolanos in the high slot. Kolanos fired a shot that beat Smith putting the Ads down 4-2.

The Admirals continued to fall farther behind as the Heat added to their lead. At the 12:47 mark of the third period Kolanos was behind the net and found Jon Rheault, who fired from the face off dot beating Smith over his shoulder. This put the Heat on top 5-2.

The Heat added an empty net goal with 12 seconds remaining in the game as Kolanos fired the puck in from the red line, giving him a four-point night.

The Admirals and Heat return to action in game 2 of the Western Conference Quarterfinals in a best-of-five series on Sunday, April 22nd at 5:00 pm at the Bradley Center.