Holiday desserts that DON'T require baking: Tasty recipes you can whip up in no time
MILWAUKEE -- Need to make a holiday dessert last minute? Well, a little Mascarpone cheese can go a long way. Laura Wilford of the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board joins Real Milwaukee with three easy no-bake recipes.
Chocolate Caramel Mascarpone Tart
1. Grease a 10-inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom (at least 2-inches deep). Place cookies in a food processor; cover and process until fine crumbs. Melt ½ cup butter in a bowl. Add butter to cookie crumbs; process until combined. Press cookie mixture into bottom and up sides of prepared tart pan; freeze for at least 15 minutes.
2. Combine ½ cup butter and brown sugar in small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture begins to boil. Cook and whisk 1 minute longer. Remove from heat. Whisk in 1/4 cup cream until combined. Cool caramel for 15 minutes; pour over bottom of prepared crust. Freeze for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, combine remaining butter, 1/2 cup cream and chocolate chips in a large microwave-safe bowl; microwave on high for about 2 minutes, whisking every 30 seconds, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Whisk in mascarpone until smooth. Set aside.
4. Beat 3/4 cup cream in another large bowl until it begins to thicken. Add 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Gently fold whipped cream into reserved chocolate mixture. Spoon into crust. Freeze for 30 minutes.
5. Beat remaining cream in a large bowl until it begins to thicken. Add remaining confectioners’ sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form. Pipe whipped cream on tart. Garnish with chocolate curls. Serve immediately. Refrigerate leftovers.
Coffee & Donut Truffles
1. Place doughnuts and mascarpone in a food processor; cover and process until mixture is smooth. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.
2. Line a 15 x 10-inch baking pan with parchment paper. Roll doughnut mixture into 1 1/2-inch balls; place on prepared pan. Refrigerate 1 hour.
3. Melt chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl on 50% power in 30-second intervals, stirring until smooth. Dip balls in chocolate, let any excess drip off. Return to parchment-lined pan. Dust with espresso powder. Garnish with coffee beans if desired. Refrigerate until serving.
1 Melt chocolate chips; cool slightly. Mix with cheese at medium speed of electric mixer for 2 minutes. Pipe mixture into chocolate cups; top with garnish; chill.