Wauwatosa police release video from officer-involved shooting at Mayfair Mall

WAUWATOSA -- Wauwatosa police released on Friday, Feb. 7 video related to the officer-involved shooting that led to the death of a 17-year-old male identified by family as Alvin Cole.

Wauwatosa Police Chief Barry Weber

They were gunshots that changed the lives of all those involved, including Cole.

"Anytime a police officer feels compelled to use deadly force, the sense of security of a city and police department is turned upside down," said Wauwatosa Police Chief Barry Weber. "We extend sympathy to the family of the man that died."

Police said it started Sunday, Feb. 2 around 5:40 p.m. when someone spotted a man with a fanny pack carrying a gun inside Mayfair Mall. After spotting the suspect outside, new dash camera video shows police trying to catch him -- but it wouldn't take long.

As officers approach a group of people at the mall, the group begins to run. Officers pursued on foot and in squads.

Officials say the video shows the suspect running from police -- along with two other persons. Officers shout "drop the gun, drop the gun." Moments later, a single gunshot is heard on the dashcam video -- fired by the suspect, officials say. Officers continued to shout "drop the gun now" -- and that is followed by a series of five gunshots. Cole was struck by gunfire.

Alvin Cole

Police said the first shot came from Cole and, after 10 seconds, a Wauwatosa police officer fired back five times.

"What is clear and not a matter of dispute is that the deceased fired his weapon before the police officer fired theirs," said Wauwatosa Police Chief Barry Weber.

Authorities found a 9mm semi-automatic handgun next to Cole and an extended magazine with 35 rounds in his bag. The crime lab discovered a spent shell casing inside the chamber of that gun.

Tracy Cole

"They shot my baby," said Tracy Cole, Alvin's mother. "My heart just went inside my body because, I said, this can't be happening."

On Feb. 3, Cole's mother shared the heartache the situation has caused their family; they want to learn whether the officer's actions will be justified.

Officials say officers on the scene immediately began to treat the suspect for his injuries. Cole later died.

The officers involved in this incident were placed on administrative leave, per policy. Milwaukee police, per policy, are leading the investigation. When completed, it will be handed over to the Milwaukee County District Attorney's Office to see if any criminal charges will be filed. An attorney for the Cole family said the family will not be commenting any further until the investigation is over.