Walworth County Sheriff's Office: 2 juveniles in custody after pursuit ends with crash

WALWORTH COUNTY -- Two juveniles from Janesville were taken into custody early Wednesday morning, October 19th after a police pursuit leads to a crash in Rock County.

Officials say the crash happened shortly before 4:00 a.m. on along Highway M near Highway KK in Johnstown Township.

The pursuit began just before 3 a.m. on Hwy A near Hwy H in the Town of Sugar Creek, Walworth County after at a sheriff’s deputy attempted to stop a black 2008 Nissan Versa for speeding.

The Nissan’s speed was confirmed by radar at 87 mph in a posted 55 mph zone.

The deputy activated emergency lights and siren and attempted to conduct a traffic stop, however, the Nissan failed to stop and continued west at a high rate of speed. At one point, the Nissan increased speed to over 100 mph and went through the stop sign at Highway A and Highway O without stopping.

As the Nissan continued west it was observed driving into a ditch and driving erratically.  The Nissan continued west at the intersection of Highway A and Highway 89 going through the stop sign at a high rate of speed.

The Rock County Sheriff’s Office was notified as the pursuit continued west toward the county line.  The Nissan turned north off of Hwy A onto Hwy M, in Rock County, and continued at a high rate of speed.  The Walworth County Sheriff’s Deputy terminated the pursuit on Highway M near Highway KK in Johnstown Township, Rock County.

After the deputy pulled over and turned off emergency equipment, area police agencies were updated on the last known direction of the Nissan.

The Walworth County Sheriff’s deputy then drove north on Hwy. M a short distance and observed the black Nissan had crashed into a field.  Two occupants were observed running from the vehicle and a foot chase ensued.

Two juveniles from Janesville were taken into custody with the assistance from the Rock County Sheriff’s Office at 3:45 a.m.

Milton Fire and Rescue were called to the scene and both juveniles were transported to a local hospital with minor injuries.

This case remains under investigation and charges are pending.