Two hurt after fire breaks out in home near Summit Avenue & High Street in Racine

RACINE (WITI) -- Two people were transported to the hospital Wednesday, December 10th following a house fire in Racine.

Fire crews responded to a home on Summit Avenue near High Street just after 8 p.m.

According to officials, two residents  sustained burn injuries while trying to extinguish flames in their kitchen. Officials say the residents discovered the fire on their stove and attempted to extinguish the fire themselves prior to calling 911. The fire resulted from oil on their stove top that ignited while cooking.

The fire was under control within  minutes of the Fire Department's arrival, but the fire did extend into the wall behind the stove and caused significant damage to the home. The fire is classified as accidental.

The fire caused an estimated $27,000 in damage to the structure and contents.