Two adults, four children homeless after Racine house fire

RACINE (WITI) -- Racine fire officials say two adults and four children are homeless after a fire broke out at a home on Forest Street on Wednesday, January 28th.

The fire broke out just after 1:00 p.m.

Fire officials say a tenant noticed scorch marks on a living room wall and called 911. Firefighters found a three-foot diameter area above the ceiling had burned.

The fire was quickly extinguished.

Fire officials say new smoke detectors were present in the home -- but they did not have working batteries.

The damage estimate for this fire is $6,000.