Town of Addison home damaged following fire

WASHINGTON CO. -- Fire officials responded to the scene of a house fire in the Town of Addison early Thursday morning, December 6th.

Authorities say the fire broke out at approximately 1:36 a.m. in the basement of a home located at 5286 Indian Drive.

A preliminary investigation indicates that the fire may have ignited from a wood furnace. Officials say numerous articles of personal property where within a close proximity of the working wood furnace -- igniting and spreading flames to other nearby property.

Fire officials say the flames were contained to the property in the basement near the wood furnace and floor rafters above the furnace. Authorities say the home suffered smoke damage, but the exterior of the structure was not damaged as a result of the fire.

Authorizes say the residence had smoke detectors -- but none in working condition.

Officials say no injuries were sustained as a result of the fire.