Several departments called out to grain bin dryer fire in Town of Trenton

TOWN OF TRENTON (WITI) -- Washington County Sheriff's officials say several departments were called out to battle a grain bin dryer fire in the Town of Trenton early Monday morning, November 10th.

It happened shortly before 6:00 a.m. at a property on Highway Y.

The property owner noticed the fire when he went outside to begin his daily chores and observed flames near the heater fan of the grain bin dryer -- quickly turning off the fan to try to slow the flames.

When officials responded to the scene, the flames were extinguished and the electric and propane sources were turned off. Then, crews had to remove the grain from the bin. During that process, re-igniting flames had to be extinguished near the bottom of the grain bin.

The property owner estimates about 8,000 bushels of field corn was lost -- at an approximate cost of $30,000. The grain bin and dryer were also a total loss, valued at approximately $35,000.

No one was injured.

A section of Highway Y had to be shut down for a short period of time as crews worked the fire.