Residents evacuated due to natural gas leak
TOWN OF NORWAY (WITI) -- Authorities were called to the scene of an outdoor natural gas leak the afternoon of Saturday, May 4th in the town of Norway.
A caller told the Racine County Communications Center that they had not contacted Digger's Hotline and ended up hitting a natural gas line with an auger.
Residents within a one block radius of the leak were evacuated due to safety concerns.
Racine County Sheriff's Deputies, Town of Norway Police, Wind Lake and Tichigan Fire Departments, and WE Energies all responded to the scene.
Emergency crews have cleared the scene and residents were allowed back in their homes.
Six residents will be without gas services while crews work to make permanent repairs to the gas line.
Folks are reminded to call Digger's Hotline at 811 before doing any digging projects around their homes.