Reconstruction of West Capitol Drive set to begin Monday
MILWAUKEE (WITI) -- Construction is set to begin on Monday, April 15th along West Capitol Drive.
The reconstruction of West Capitol Drive from 84th Street to Mayfair Road begins on Monday and is set to be completed in November of 2013.
This project is a joint venture between the City of Milwaukee and the Wisconsin Department of Transportation.
Federal and state funds will pay for 90% of the project, with the cities of Milwaukee and Wauwatosa sharing the remaining 10% of costs.
The project will be completed in two phases. During Phase One, from April 15 to July 15, the removal and reconstruction of the westbound lanes of Capitol Drive (north side of the street) will occur. Traffic will continue to operate on the south side of Capitol Drive with two lanes of through traffic, one in each direction.
Phase Two begins on approximately July 15, when construction work will move to the south side of Capitol Drive (eastbound lanes). Traffic will be shifted to the newly reconstructed north side of the roadway with two lanes of through traffic, one in each direction.
Milwaukee County Transit System bus routes and schedules will remain unchanged during the construction process. Bus stops may be moved to accommodate construction but will be in the same general area, and will be marked with temporary bus stop signs.
The Department of Public Works` Support for Business program will work closely with businesses and organizations in the affected area to make sure their concerns are addressed, and will provide them with regular updates on the project via email and on the Support for Business website.
The website at www.milwaukee.gov/supportforbusiness lists project summaries, photos, progress updates, and contact information for most construction projects. It also includes contact information for programs provided by the City of Milwaukee, and other city agencies that support small businesses