Police: 81 treated after carbon monoxide leak at Lake Delton ice rink

LAKE DELTON (WITI) -- At least 81 people have been treated for symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning after a leak was discovered at Poppy Waterman Ice Rink in Lake Delton.

Police say hockey players and spectators were exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide at the rink on Saturday evening, December 13th.

Several hockey players reported having headaches and feeling dizzy after a minor league game between the Dells Ducks and Rochester Ice Hawks. Several players had vomited and one fainted.

Paramedics responded to the rink and immediately recognized the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning. The Delton Fire Department recorded high readings of CO inside the building.

Fire, EMS and law enforcement officials were dispatched to various locations in Lake Delton and Wisconsin Dells following the game to contact players, staff and spectators who had left the ice rink prior to the discovery of the CO leak.

Area hospitals have treated 81 patients who were experiencing symptoms such as dizziness, nausea, vomiting, and fainting.

All activities at Poppy Waterman Ice Rink have been cancelled for Sunday, December 14th and Monday, December 15th.

The cause of the carbon  monoxide leak is unknown at this time. The incident is still under investigation.