Overheated mechanism in toy vehicle leads to early morning garage fire in Racine

RACINE (WITI) -- Racine fire officials say it is believed an overheated mechanism in a toy vehicle stored in a garage led to a garage fire early Tuesday morning, July 22nd.

It happened at a home in the 2200 block of Summit Avenue -- just before 2:30 a.m.

Fire officials were called out to the home when the occupant noticed smoke coming from the garage. Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fire.

Fire officials say a battery-powered, four-wheel plastic vehicle had partially melted and burned -- along with some surrounding combustibles.

The fire caused $500 in damage to property and $500 to contents.

This fire is considered to be an accident, but an investigation is ongoing.