One injured following unattended cooking fire in Fond du Lac

FOND DU LAC (WITI) -- One person sustained non-life threatening injuries following an unattended cooking fire in Fond du Lac Wednesday, May 22nd. According to officials, the Fond du Lac Fire Department responded to a “fire out” investigation at a duplex at 27  5th Street at approximately 10:34 p.m.

Fire officials say the first floor resident was cooking french fries when the oil ignited.

The resident sustained a burn injury and was taken to the hospital by paramedics with non-life threatening injuries.

The fire was contained to the stove which sustained extensive damage.

Smoke had to be evacuated by firefighters.  As a result of the smoke damage, the Red Cross was called to help provide overnight shelter to the family.

Firefighters did not find any working smoke alarms in the residence. “These residents are fortunate they were awake at the time of the fire,” said Fire Chief Peter O'Leary.  “Smoke alarms are required by Wisconsin State Statutes and the fire prevention bureau will be following up with the building owner to find out why no detectors were present.”

Firefighters will be out canvasing the 5th Street location Thursday, May 23rd to pass out fire safety information to nearby residents to help drive home the message that smoke alarms save lives.  The FDLD will install smoke alarms free of charge if necessary.