November death of nearly four-month-old baby girl ruled a homicide

MILWAUKEE COUNTY -- The Milwaukee County medical examiner has ruled the death of a nearly four-month-old baby girl who died on November 7th at Children's Hospital a homicide.

According to the medical examiner's report, India Gilmore died as a result of blunt force injuries to the head. The medical examiner's report also indicates the child had healing rib fractures.

The report indicates Gilmore was found unresponsive by her father, in a car seat at her home, and she died at the hospital.

According to the report, officials with the Milwaukee Fire Department responded to the child's home after she was found unresponsive in the car seat by her father. She was last known to be alive around 10:30 p.m. on November 6th. She was apparently sleeping in the car seat, which was on top of an adult bed.

At the time of her death at the hospital, the report notes that there was no trauma, and foul play wasn't suspected. We're told the trauma found on the child was found during an autopsy, and was internal, which is why it wasn't noticed initially.

The child's father indicated he tried to give her a bottle around 11:30 p.m. on November 6th, and she was not responsive and appeared "not normal."

The child's father told the medical examiner the child had been sick for the past few days and had a fever, and that she hadn't been drinking her bottles well at all. The father noted that the child was very fussy the day before her death.

On the night of her death, the child's father said he had to take the child's mother to work, and upon returning home, the child was asleep in the car seat in the car. He said they would typically leave the child in the car seat for 30 to 60 minutes before removing her and putting her to sleep in a Rock 'n Play or Pack 'n Play. Around 11:30 p.m., when the child's father went to give her a bottle, she didn't respond. The father noted the child's lip appeared white and "not normal," and he called 911.

On November 7th, Milwaukee police arrested the child's mother and father -- a 21-year-old woman and a 22-year-old man for child abuse.

This case has been ruled a homicide, but there have not yet been any criminal charges filed.

Monitor FOX6 News and for updates on this story.