Milwaukee police, neighbors have questions after two bodies are found in home

MILWAUKEE (WITI) -- The bodies of two men were discovered inside a home in Milwaukee's Harambee neighborhood on Monday, December 1st, and that had police on the scene near Richards and Auer for hours Monday. Police have a lot of questions, and so do those who live in the area.

"Just prayers for the family," a woman said at the scene Tuesday.

That woman placed flowers and candles on the doorstep Tuesday, and sprinkled holy water. She says her daughter's father and uncle live at the home, and says she's unsure whether they were the ones found dead inside.

"My thoughts and prayers are for my daughter, my daughter's dad and uncle. I'm confused. Without no names, I just got thoughts that are going through my head," the woman said.

The Milwaukee County Medical Examiner's Office is working to identify the men found dead in the home, and determine their cause of death.

It began around 1:30 p.m. Monday, when police were called to the home for a welfare check. When the first officers arrived on the scene, one officer encountered a 26-year-old man at the rear of the home. That person began waving a knife at the officer. The officer then chased the man through a gangway and into the street.

Officials say the officer was able to talk the man into dropping his knife — and he was taken into custody peacefully.

The officers then went into the home and found two people dead. Police say the men may have been dead for some time.

Neighbor Gregory Hill says he knew something wasn't right on Monday.

"It was unusual for them to have music playing for three and four days and nobody being out there. I knocked on the front door. I knocked on all the windows on my way to the back of the house. I was knocking on the back door loud like, they got to be in there or something's wrong," Hill said.

Hill told a neighbor to call police.

Next-door neighbor Roderick Brown says not knowing what happened and why is alarming.

"Crazy! I got to watch when I come outside, watching for my family," Brown said.

Police said Tuesday their investigation into this incident continues. They say the 26-year-old man arrested at the home Monday remains in custody.

Related stories: