Kewaskum home damaged following early morning fire

KEWASKUM (WITI) -- The Kewaskum Fire and Police Departments responded to a house fire Fond du Lac Ave and Main St. in the Village of Kewaskum Thursday, May 30th.

According to police, the blaze began after a female resident fell asleep while smoking a cigarette. The mattress ignited and the fire was fueled by an oxygen line nearby.

Another resident acted quickly and turned off the oxygen tank and assisted her mother and the two dogs out of the residence.

The fire was contained to the bedroom; however the rest of the residence experienced extensive smoke damage.

The Kewaskum Fire Department had the fire under control within 15 minutes of their arrival.

Nobody was hurt in the fire. The Red Cross is assisting the family.