"It was very scary:" Nightmare for Brookfield family when fire breaks out in home

BROOKFIELD (WITI) -- Dozens of firefighters were called in to put out a blaze at a large home in Brookfield on Sunday, October 26th, at 1125 Ashbourne Court.

Less than a week before Halloween, a family's nightmare.

"I had seen a lot of smoke, it was very scary," said Linda Russo, lives nearby.

Neighbors say their street was filled with smoke as flames went through the roof.

A beautiful fall morning on Ashbourne Court, obscured by smoke.

"It's one thing to see smoke, a big cloud of smoke as we were coming up the drive but it's another thing to actually see the fire itself," said Russo.

A number of agencies had to be called in to get the fire under control. Firefighters responded from at least 6 outside departments.

The Brookfield Fire Department says they got the call around 11:45 a.m. They discovered fire shooting through the roof on one side of the home.

The doctor who owns the large house was out of town when the fire started. None of her children were home. Neighbors notified the fire department just before noon.

"Crews made an aggressive attack on the fire to extinguish it from the exterior and then went interior to complete extinguishment," said Charlie Myers, with the Brookfield Fire Department.

Because of the size of the fire, Brookfield fire called in at least 6 outside departments, and additional agencies to cover Brookfield's fire houses.

They got the fire out, before the house was a loss. But not before the east end was damaged by fire, smoke and water.

"At this time we have no injuries, no one was home at the time of the fire," said Myers.

"I just am relieved that our neighbors are safe and no one was home and hope that all of the neighbors are able to and I'm sure we are, to pitch in and help," said Russo.

As of Sunday night, restoration crews are already at the home.

The fire department says the flames may have started on the 2nd floor, but they are still investigating.