HARTFORD -- Hartford police say a 13-year-old juvenile was taken into custody after officers were called out to Central Middle School on Monday, April 11th, to investigate a note containing a bomb threat. The 13-year-old student could face a felony "terrorist threats" charge under an act that became law on April 1st.
Police were called out to the school shortly before 5:00 p.m.
Police say the note was not immediately discovered by the school staff. The bomb threat was for a future date. The note had been left in a pass through window at the school's office.
An investigation revealed a group of students were caught on camera leaving the building on Monday afternoon around 3:30 p.m.
As they left the building, one of the students could be seen placing a note in the window.
School officials helped police identify the individual seen placing the note in the window. That person was brought in for questioning, and police say the 13-year-old admitted to writing the note, and told officers there were never any explosive devices in the school.
Police say the student informed the officers that they were "fully aware that the note would cause fear and create a panic, and stated that it had been their intention to cause a big deal so school would have to close the following day."
Police say three other students were interviewed, and any potential involvement on their part remains under investigation.
Central Middle School was searched and nothing suspicious was found.
The home of the 13-year-old student was also searched and no evidence of explosives was discovered.
Police say there will be additional security measures at the school on April 12th "out of an abundance of caution."
In fact, on Tuesday, police searched the school again -- and no explosive devices were discovered. The building was cleared in time for school to begin, and no classes were cancelled.
Police said in a statement:
"This investigation has revealed no evidence that the suspect ever actually possessed any expolsive devices or their components in this incident. Additionally, no evidence has been discovered that anyone at Central Middle School had ever actually been in imminent danger from this threat.
On April 1st, 2016, 2015 Act 311 became law creating State Statute 947.019 Terrorist Threats, a Class I Felony. Intentionally making a bomb threat is a criminal violation of that statute."