Fire officials: Careless use of smoking materials led to Fond du Lac house fire

FOND DU LAC (WITI) -- Fond du Lac Fire officials say the careless use of smoking materials contributed to a house fire on Sunday afternoon, September 7th.

It happened just before 3:00 p.m. at a home on South Military Road.

Fire officials say there were no working smoke detectors in the home.

Fire crews arriving at the scene encountered fire on the second floor exterior of the two-story wood structure. Crews were able to extinguish the fire before it spread into the interior of the structure.

Everyone was able to exit the home safely.