Fire caused by candle causes $25K in damage to structure in Racine

RACINE (WITI) -- Fire crews in Racine responded to a fire at a residence in the 1200 block of Carlisle Avenue early Sunday morning, February 23rd.

Officials say the fire caused $25,000 in damage.

Upon their arrival at the scene, crews reported a working fire in the second floor unit. Crews eventually discovered a mattress on fire in the bedroom hallway window.

Fire officials say a tenant reported accidentally knocking a candle under the bed -- and attempts to extinguish the fire and remove the mattress were unsuccessful.

Fire officials are warning folks that in the event of a fire -- it is important to immediately notify the fire department by calling 911, before taking any additional action.