Fire at home on 9th Avenue in Racine after child turned on the stove and left it unattended

RACINE --  It happened on Monday afternoon, August 3rd around 3:30 p.m. in the 3300 block of 9th Avenue. Fire officials say a child turned on the stove, and left it unattended -- igniting materials left on the stovetop.

The fire spread through the kitchen and living areas of the home.

The home also suffered minor water damage.

Firefighter personnel quickly extinguished the fire and checked for extension.

We Energies disconnected power to the residence.

The residents were able to get out safely along with their pet. No one was injured.

The building is uninhabitable and the occupants have declined aid from the American Red Cross and will stay with friends.

This fire caused $20,000 in damage to the structure, and $10,000 in damage to contents.