Drill explodes, sparks garage fire that spread to home in Sheboygan County

SHEBOYGAN COUNTY -- Multiple departments responded to a fire in the Town of Rhine in Sheboygan County Wednesday night, November 8th -- which spread from a garage to a home.

According to the Sheboygan County Sheriff's Office, the garage was lost as a result. The home was badly damaged.

It happened around 6:15 p.m. at a home on State Highway 32 -- near Willow.

It's believed the fire was sparked when the homeowner's son was conducting maintenance on his vehicle. According to the fire chief, a man was working in a garage when something happened with a drill, and ignited the fire. That was brought under control, but then an oxygen tank in the garage exploded. The garage re-ignited and spread to the house.

"I would say flames probably 15 to 20 feet above the house," Pat Zorn, Elkhart Lake fire chief said.

The homeowner's son suffered minor injuries.


Fourteen agencies responded: