District Attorney's Office receives case involving boy struck by vehicle

MILWAUKEE (WITI) -- The Milwaukee County District Attorney's Office confirms with FOX6 News it has received a case in which an eight-year-old boy was struck by a vehicle and killed. The case is currently being reviewed by the District Attorney's Office's Homicide Unit.

It is unclear when any charges could be filed in this case.

Streets were shut down in a Milwaukee neighborhood on Monday evening, March 31st so hundreds of people could mourn eight-year-old Jacari Maxwell — struck and killed by a car on Sunday.

“Jacari will truly be missed,” Maxwell’s grandmother, Katherine Dodd said.

The outpouring of love on 12th Street Monday evening was so strong, the road had to be shut down.

“My grandson was truly, truly loved and I just thank God for you all loving us so much. I really, really do. I thank ya`ll,” Dodd said.

Hundreds stood on the street where on Sunday, eight-year-old Jacari Maxwell lost his life.

Police say Maxwell was struck by a vehicle after he ran into the street from between parked cars.

“I want to do what is needed for our community to become a better place for our children to play in. My grandson was out here playing and got killed,” Dodd said.

Hands in the crowd were stretched out and placed on the shoulders of Maxwell’s mother.

Her son was a third-grader at MPS’ Thurston Woods Elementary School.

Maxwell’s uncle says he was touched by the number of people who came out to support his family.

“Thanks for the outpouring of love. They came from everywhere, every which way and I really appreciate that,” Reggie Dodd said.

Even the youngest in the crowd had something to say about Maxwell.

“I hope God is with your family. I miss you,” a six-year-old girl said.

Police say this incident was not a hit-and-run — but they say the driver, a 58-year-old Milwaukee man had a suspended license.

Maxwell’s grandmother says that is not acceptable.

“We need to do something about people out here driving illegally in these streets,” Katherine Dodd said.

The night ended with balloons released into the sky as the crowd called out Maxwell’s name.

The family is hoping for justice now that they’ve learned the man who hit Maxwell should not have been driving in the first place.

The man was arrested for Operating After Suspension – Causing Death.