"Amazing to see the support:" Komen Race for the Cure honors breast cancer survivors, raises money for research

MILWAUKEE -- An army in pink descended on Milwaukee's lakefront Sunday morning, September 25th for the 18th annual Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. Breast cancer survivors and their families took part in the 5K run and one-mile walk.

"It`s amazing to see the community support," Nikki Panico, executive director of Susan G. Komen Southeast Wisconsin said.

Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure

Each stride was a step forward in the fight for a cure.

Milwaukee's Race for the Cure event is the largest fundraiser for the Susan G. Komen Southeast Wisconsin branch -- raising more than $1 million in 2015.

Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure

"We want people to know that 75% of the money raised here stays right here. The other 25% goes to national research," Panico said.

The money is used to diagnose and treat breast cancer.

Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure

"'It`s challenging journey, financially and otherwise, so if we can relieve some of that burden, we`re thrilled to do it," Panico said.

The Susan G. Komen Foundation supported Michele Mick through a grant program, allowing her to find and treat the disease early on.

Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure

"Definitely was a huge help. Just a relief to know those mammograms were being covered and the health insurance premiums because I needed that health insurance at that time," Mick said.

Michele Mick

Mick had a double mastectomy after her second breast cancer diagnosis two years ago.

"That was actually really devastating to have to go through it a second time and basically the whole change in body and everything that`s involved -- so it was a much harder recovery," Mick said.

Before the race on Sunday, there was recognition of the breast cancer survivors on hand.

After last year's event, $1.1 million stayed here in southeastern Wisconsin to help support women`s care.

Organizers said they hope to raise that much, if not more, this year.

Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure

In the 17 years this event has taken place in southeastern Wisconsin, more than $14 million has been raised, and $10 million has stayed here in southeastern Wisconsin.

If you weren't able to take part in Sunday's Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure, you can still make a donation to help in the fight against breast cancer. CLICK HERE to make a single donation, or a monthly gift.