4-21-12: IL MITO's Family Recipe Revival Bolognese
Spice up your weekend dinner with some Italian food. Chef Feker has the perfect idea -- take a crack at this awesome recipe for Bolognese.
Ingredients (Serves 8)
• 1 lb ground beef
• 1/2 lb Ground Veal
• 1/2 lb sweet Italian sausage
• 4 cup Homemade tomato sauce or 4 12oz cans diced and whole tomatoes (2each)
• 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
• 1 Cup Red Wine
• 2 Tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
• 2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
• 2 Tbsp fresh Italian parsley, chopped
• 5 cloves garlic chopped
• 1 medium onion chopped
• 2 small carrots chopped
• 2 cups of crimini mushrooms sliced
• 1 Bay Leaf
• Sea salt and white pepper to taste
1. In a large pot heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat.
2. When the oil is hot add the Italian sausage and season lightly with salt and pepper. Allow the meat to brown slightly before stirring. When the meat is well browned, use a slotted spoon and remove it from the oil and set aside to cool. Repeat this process with the veal and the ground beef. (Chef’s Note: Do not add more oil, the oil in the pot released by the meat should be sufficient)
3. When all of the meat has been browned, add the carrot, onions, garlic and mushrooms to your pot.
4. Cook the vegetables until lightly browned. Remove from the pot and set aside.
5. Add ½ tablespoon of olive oil and reduce the heat under the pot to low. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, until it is a little roasted and fragrant.
6. Add the wine and stir to incorporate.
7. Return all of the meat and vegetables to the pot and add the tomato sauce, fresh herbs and bay leaf.
8. Bring the sauce to a simmer and then wrap the top of the pot tightly with aluminum foil.
9. Cook in a 275-degree, preheated oven for 3 hours.
10. Remove the sauce from the oven and season to your taste with salt and pepper.