22-year-old man facing several charges in fatal crash on Milwaukee's south side

MILWAUKEE (WITI) -- 22-year-old Alberto Rabell of Milwaukee has been formally charged in connection with a fatal crash that occurred early Saturday morning, September 6th on Milwaukee's south side. The wreck happened just after 12:30 a.m. near S. 31st and W. Becher.

Alberto Rabell is facing the following charges:

    According to the criminal complaint, Milwaukee police responded to the intersection of S. 31st Street and W. Becher Street early Saturday morning to investigate a crash. Upon arrival, officials observed four vehicles that appeared to have been involved in the crash: a Hyundai Sonata, a Mercury Tracer, A Nissan Sentra and a Mercury Mystique.

    According to the complaint, it was determined that the Nissan Sentra and Mercury Mystique were legally parked at the time of the crash.

    The Nissan Sentra sustained damage to the front and rear. The complaint indicates the front of the vehicle was underneath the rear of the Mercury Mystique. The Mercury Mystique sustained minor damage to the rear of the vehicle, according to the complaint.

    The Mercury Tracer, which was located on the east side of S. 31st Street, north of W. Becher Street, sustained severe damage to the driver's side. The driver, later identified as Carlton Johnson, was pronounced dead at the scene.

    The passenger of the Mercury Tracer was transported to the hospital in critical, but guarded condition. The complaint says the passenger suffered from brain bleeding, pelvic fractures and rib fractures.

    The rear passenger of the Mercury Tracer was transported to the hospital, where it was determined that he was suffering from internal injuries and a fractured pelvis.

    The Hyundai Sonata, which was located in the middle of S. 31st Street facing a southern direction, sustained severe damage to the front portion of the vehicle, according to the complaint.

    The complaint indicates that one of the first responding officers observed a male, later identified as Alberto Rabell, lying on the ground directly outside the driver's side of the Hyundai Sonata. Officials say Rabell had sustained a non-life threatening injury to his leg.

    Upon making contact with Rabell, the officer detected a strong odor of intoxicants on his breath.

    The complaint indicates officers then made contact with the female passenger of the vehicle Rabell had been driving.

    According to the complaint, the woman initially told police she had been driving. However, she later indicated that her boyfriend, Rabell, had been driving and that he asked her to lie so he wouldn't be arrested.

    During the subsequent interview, Rabell's girlfriend told authorities that prior to the crash, she had met up with Rabell at a bar. After having a drink, Rabell's girlfriend indicated that she, Rabell and two of his friends got into her Hyundai Sonata.

    According to officials, the crash occurred after Rabell failed to stop for a stop sign.

    Following the crash, Rabell consented to a blood draw. His blood alcohol content was .12, according to the complaint.

    According to the complaint, records show Rabell never had a valid license. The records indicate Rabell was convicted of operating while intoxicated on September 14th, 2010 for an incident that occurred on July 9th, 2010. Thereafter, Rabell's license was revoked for failure to comply with his assessment.

    The complaint also indicates that Rabell was charged with the misdemeanor offense of operating while revoked. On April 22nd, 2014, Rabell appeard in court and was released without bail on that case. Rabell then failed to appear for his next court date and a bench warrant was issued for his arrest, according to the complaint.

    The warrant was active at the time of the fatal crash on September 6th.