Students, staff evacuated because of fumes at Burlington school

BURLINGTON -- Students and staff from St. Mary's Catholic School in Burlington were evacuated to Burlington Catholic Central High School on Friday, October 19th. This, after fumes from a bad mix of cleaning chemicals were discovered in the school's kitchen.

After the kitchen crew found the chemical mixture, it was decided that it would be best to have the children leave the school until the situation was resolved. So 340 students between kindergarten and 8th grade were relocated.

Ten adults and two students were taken to a nearby hospital. They all complained of sore throats and headaches. They were all treated and released.

A hazardous materials crew disposed of the cleaning chemicals. It's unclear what those chemicals were.

The school has been declared safe and the students were dismissed for the day.

Monitor FOX6 News and for updates on this developing story.