One displaced following apartment fire in Fond du Lac

FOND DU LAC (WITI) -- The Fond du Lac Fire Department responded to the scene of an apartment fire at 186 Morningside Drive early Friday morning, December 20th.

Upon arrival, fire crews encountered smoke in a lower level apartment of the structure.

According to officials, residents of the building were able to knock down the fire with a fire extinguisher. The firefighters were able to fully extinguish the fire, evacuate the residents and ventilate the structure.

The resident of the apartment was able to exit the building and was treated and released by the fire department paramedics.

Authorities say the building fire alarm system was activated; however, the individual apartment smoke detector was not operational.

Fire officials say the cause of the fire was an unattended candle.