No school Tuesday at Kennedy Middle School in Germantown after fire in robotics lab

GERMANTOWN -- Kennedy Middle School in Germantown on Monday, February 29th dismissed students early due to a fire -- and there will be NO SCHOOL on Tuesday, March 1st.

The Germantown Fire Department was dispatched to the school around 9:30 a.m.

Upon arrival, fire crews found heavy smoke in the hallway on the north side of the school.

In a robotics lab, visibility was down to zero.

It was determined that a fire had started in a bank of battery chargers. The fire spread to the entire stand of batteries and chargers.

One school employee was taken to the hospital due to smoke inhalation suffered while using a fire extinguisher.

The fire was contained to the robotics laboratory.

Damage is estimated at $45,000 to $50,000.

As a result of the fire, students were dismissed at 10:45 a.m.

The following letter was sent to parents by Jeff Holmes, superintendent of Germantown Schools:

Due to smoke resulting from an electrical fire in the tech ed area on the gold side of Kennedy Middle School on Monday, February 29th, students were dismissed beginning at 10:45 a.m. Please know that all students are accounted for and safe. As a precautionary measure to assess air quality and to allow ample time for cleaning and clearing of smoke, Kennedy Middle School will not be in session on Tuesday, March 1st. We will continue to update families and staff. Your patience and understanding as we work through this issue is greatly appreciated.

The photos you'll see below were provided to FOX6 News by the Germantown Fire Department.