IONE, California -- A middle school student at a school in California was caught snorting methamphetamine that was packaged to resemble Smarties candy.
The incident happened at Ione Middle School during lunch on Monday, April 4th when staff noticed two students acting strangely.
One of the students, an eighth grader, brought the pink tablet to his nose and sniffed it.
"After he had it up around his nose he took some and gave it to another student," Ione Junior High Principal Bill Murray told KTXL.
When the student was asked about the tablet, he said it was candy. Upon testing of the tablet, it tested positive for MDMA/methamphetamine.
Murray said he's shocked to see serious drugs in the hands of young teens.
"It's the first time in my career I've ever had this, and I've been in the business 46 years," Murray said.
Police said they believe this is an isolated incident. The 14-year-old student faces a charge of being in possession of a controlled substance.