Maintenance workers rescue elderly couple from fire in Brookfield

BROOKFIELD -- Two maintenance workers saved an elderly couple from an apartment fire Tuesday afternoon, September 11th in Brookfield.

Officials say the fire broke out near Astor Court.

According to FOX6's media partners at the Brookfield Patch, two men were working in the area when they smelled smoke. They ran into the home and rescued the elderly couple and their pets.

Officials say no one was injured as a result of the fire. Those living in the building said they feel lucky no one was hurt.

"This is everyone's nightmare -- when you live in an apartment complex and you're living on top of other people -- who knows what can happen. A simple spark can do lots of damage in a quick time span," Wendy Dorn said.

Preliminary investigations indicate the fire started in the garage.

CLICK HERE for additional details on this story via the Brookfield Patch.