Fond du Lac residents escape overnight duplex fire

FOND DU LAC -- Two residents of a duplex in Fond du Lac managed to get out of their building safely early Sunday, April 10th -- after a fire started in their home.

Firefighters were dispatched to the duplex on National Ave. just before 3 a.m. Sunday.

Once they arrived on the scene, fire crews found a fire on the rear of the second floor deck -- and it extended inside the structure. The fire was quickly extinguished but not before it caused some structural damage and moderate smoke damage throughout.

One resident was taken by paramedics a hospital for evaluation. Another resident was being taken to the hospital by a family member.

The cause of the fire appears to have been improperly discarded smoking materials. There were working smoke alarms sounding.

The Red Cross assisted the displaced residents.