Fire officials: 12-year-old tortoise responsible for fire at fish store in Town of Genesee

VILLAGE OF WALES -- Officials with the Town of Genesee Fire Department on Sunday, September 4th responded to a fire at a fish store apparently caused by a 12-year-old tortoise.

According to fire officials, the tortoise, who served as the mascot of "Aquatica" on James Street near Genesee Street jostled a heat lamp above his tub. The heat lamp then fell into the tub and started some hay inside it on fire.

Unfortunately, the tortoise did not survive the fire.

The tortoise was apparently used in ads for the business, which is a pond supply business which also sells fish.

The business consists of two garage units and an office. We're told the fire was contained to one garage unit.

A damage estimate hasn't been released.

Ten fire departments had to be called in to fight this fire due to a lack of hydrants in the area. The Wales/Genesee Fire Department had to return to the scene following reports that the fire had reignited.

We're told the business should reopen this week.

The cause of the fire has been determined to be accidental.