Dog being hailed a hero after alerting owners of fire inside their Milwaukee duplex

MILWAUKEE (WITI) -- Milwaukee fire officials say a dog is being called a hero after alerting two people of a fire in their duplex.

The Milwaukee Fire Department says the call for the fire came in at 4:30 a.m. on Friday, May 22nd.

Authorities say the fire started on in the kitchen on the first floor of a two story duplex located near N. 48th Street near Fairmount.

The fire department says the couple who live inside the duplex, Mason and Barbara Norman, were asleep when their dog started barking and woke them up and they were able to get out safely.

The couple is now being helped by the Red Cross.

Authorities say the fire caused $95,000 worth of damage.