Cigarette embers spark early morning house fire in Racine

RACINE (WITI) -- Racine fire crews were called to the scene of a house fire Tuesday morning, April 1st on W. High Street.

According to officials, a passing neighbor noticed smoke and flames coming from the side door of the home, and alerted the residents -- which included a young couple with an eight-day-old baby.

Officials say all residents were able to exit the home safely.

It was determined that the fire started when embers from a cigarette were blown into the gaps in the exterior framing.

The fire caused an estimated $5,000 in damage.