After more than 24 hours, man in 80-foot sequoia tree in downtown Seattle has come down

SEATTLE — After more than 24 hours, the man in an 80-feet sequoia tree in downtown Seattle finally climbed down.

Witnesses at the scene cheered as the man finally reached the ground. He appeared to pick up an apple and start eating it.

Police gave the man space for a few minutes after he reached the ground before loading him into an ambulance for a full medical evaluation.

Several streets were blocked off in the area of 4th Ave and Stewart for the duration of the incident.

Authorities were first alerted to the unidentified man in the tree around 11:00 a.m. Tuesday, March 22nd and he was still clinging to its branches at 9:00 a.m. Wednesday.

“Issue appears to be between the man and the tree,” Seattle police tweeted.

No one knows why he climbed up there.

Seattle's "super hero" -- Phoenix Jones -- turned out late Tuesday night to try to help out. He tweeted that he would offer the #manintree a sandwich and a beer to entice him down.

Authorities on Tuesday said the man wasn't being cooperative and at one point threw an apple and pine cones at paramedics and officers.
"Officers arrived at the scene, determined the man posed a danger to himself, pedestrians and motorists, and closed several surrounding streets. Police attempted to contact the man, but he refused to speak with officers," the Seattle Police Department said on its online crime blotter.

"During early attempts to contact the man, who appears to be suffering from a mental health crisis, he threw an apple, branches, pine cones and other items at officers on the street below, and claimed to be armed with a knife," SPD said. "Due to the his violent behavior and threats, and the man’s precarious position high above the ground, police are taking extreme caution to ensure the safety of everyone involved.

"Once the incident is resolved, Seattle Department of Transportation officials will review the health of the approximately 80-foot sequoia tree, believed to have been in place since the 1970s," SPD said.